Wednesday, January 17, 2007

VFW: Dearly Beloved...

Ta-DAH! I finally debuted the new podium! It is a lovingly handcrafted wooden sculpture by renowned artist Stacy Norwood of Orlando. Stacy and her dad Ron had visited my Tuesday show several months ago and had mentioned to Earth Trivia founder Curtis that it was odd that I didn't have a podium. So Curtis commissioned Stacy to build me one from scratch (Stacy had previously restored Curtis' podium) and he gave it to me for Christmas.

The podium (or, more correctly, the lectern) has a gazillion hand-carved question marks, along with a big M.H. on the back. Frank of We're Here for the Beer said that stood for "Mental Health." It also features a blue light in the bottom and lip on the top. (Lipless Curtis is suffering from podium envy.)

The podium comes apart for easy transport, so I put the top and bottom in my suitcase and we lovingly wrapped the post with layers of bubble wrap. Then the fine airport folk lovingly threw the post onto a pile, breaking off a piece in the process (Nothing a little wood glue couldn't fix). I meant to debut it at Bube's on Tuesday, but forgot the top (Jet lag fogs the brain, you know).

The folks at the VFW loved it and a big THANK YOU to Stacy, Curtis and Ron the Transporter! Alex Trebek is seething with jealousy!

No comments: